How We Judge a Model
As judges, we are not deciding whether or not we like the subject.
We are looking at two things: Fit and Finish
Fit: how well is the model constructed?
- Are the parts fitted together well, with no gaps?
- Has the excess sprue from the sprue tree been cleanly removed from the parts?
- Have ejector pin marks and resin bubbles been filled or sanded away?
- Are there seams only where there should be seams?
- Has the glue been applied cleanly? (No visible glue globs, please.)
Finish: paint and weathering.
- Is paint texture consistent, with no pebbling, orange peel, or fingerprints?
- Are decals trimmed? Do they lay flat? Are they straight/level, with no silvering?
- Are windscreens, canopies and other clear parts clean, clear, and polished, where appropriate?
- Is there a consistent level of surface detail?
- Is weathering “to scale” with the model?